10 benefits of Classical Pilates by Kavita Prakash
A holistic approach that sets Pilates apart from many other forms of exercise.
Classical Pilates is the original or the purist version of “Contrology” introduced by Joseph Pilates in the early 1900s. It is a low-intensity non-weight-bearing system of physical conditioning that focuses on the body’s untapped resources. Classical Pilates is practised on specialized spring-based apparatus that provides resistance and support. This exercise regime focuses on an intensive understanding of the human musculoskeletal system to achieve a personalized full body and mind workout.
The six Pilates principles – Concentration, Control, Centering, Breath, Flow and Precision enable the practitioner to learn to move with maximum efficiency while minimizing stress on the body. Classical Pilates helps to access new levels in one’s body and create a deeper, more complete, feeling of fitness, energy and vitality that continues to remain with oneself making it a just not a fitness program but a wellbeing and lifestyle program.
Classical Pilates can be safely practised by everybody regardless of age, mobility or fitness levels. Since the exercises are gentle, progressive in nature and are performed in correct alignment, it is safe for active agers and pregnant women too. Pilates is also an exceptional cross-training tool and is practised by athletes around the world to complement their choice of Sport.
Regular practitioners feel a heightened sense of awareness and ease in their bodies. It offers an environment of physical, emotional and spiritual support to enhance one’s self-image. Helps to focus, improves concentration and teaches the body to conserve energy. Most importantly it teaches one to love and treat their bodies with the utmost kindness. The freedom to move that one experiences after regularly practising Pilates leads to an improved quality of life.
It is this holistic approach that sets Pilates apart from many other forms of exercise. Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, General Medical Practitioners & Chiropractors recommend Pilates as one of the most effective and safest forms of exercise today.
Specific benefits are outlined below:
1. The exercise regime engages the practitioner to work on all planes of movement and addresses every joint in the body in a flowing and structured manner thereby preventing injuries and strain.
2. Strengthens the abdominal muscles which support the spine and in turn relieves chronic back syndromes and pains.
3. Promotes new neuromuscular patterns, heightened body awareness, precise coordination, range of motion and spinal flexibility.
4. Sculpts the body by creating lean, beautifully toned and well-proportioned muscles.
5. Improves posture and alignment creating adequate space for the internal organs to function optimally.
6. Energizes the body and increases endurance by improving strength and flexibility.
7. Increases blood circulation by carrying oxygenated cells to the muscles and brain thereby strengthening the heart and lungs.
8. Promotes deep breathing which in turn increases the lung capacity.
9. Stimulates the body’s lymphatic system which helps in flushing out toxins. This was called an “Internal Shower” by Joseph Pilates.
10. Helps to preserve and even increase bone density which in turn can prolong and, in some cases, even prevent Osteoporosis, Arthritis and other conditions of the skeletal system.
Around The World
"Establishing and nurturing inclusivity is crucial for enhancing the quality of life for individuals with dementia" - Neha Sinha
In conversation with Neha Sinha, CEO & Co-founder, Epoch Elder Care ...
The Indian healthcare sector has emerged as a compelling arena for Private Equity (PE) investors ...
Stress is one of the most common issues which can cause amenorrhea...
Two Brothers Organic Farms and Protecterra Ecological Foundation have announced the second edition of The Conscious Living Fair 2024 ...
By prioritizing well-being in recognition programs, companies demonstrate a commitment to building a sustainable and thriving organization with loyal ...
Ben-Gurion and Israeli scientists paired by a patient organization made a breakthrough in understanding the cause of a rare and life-threatening cond...