PCOS And Mental Health
Polycystic ovary Syndrome, commonly known as PCOS has emerged is a common hormonal disorder which influences the menstrual cycle of the women.
The mind and body are two interrelated components, where the disbalance in one can cause the trouble to the other one as well. With lifestyle changes, many of us are dealing with certain lifestyle issues. One such is, Polycystic ovary Syndrome, commonly known as PCOS has emerged is a common hormonal disorder which influences the menstrual cycle of the women. Moreover, PCOS has an increased level of androgen, testosterone, and formation of small cysts in the ovaries in a female body. Certain signs and symptoms of PCOS are:
- Hair growth
- Excessive Insulin
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Irregular Menses
- Weight Gain
- Constant Mood swings
With respect to a recent data captivated in 2020 suggests that the levels of PCOS in India
The above data implies that from the period of teenage up to the death, the women are susceptible to be diagnosed with PCOS. Being prevalent in Indian women, it has been proven by research that PCOS has a direct implication with respect to mental health.
PCOS can effect any women irrespective of their age, and weight. PCOS not only impacts a woman physically, but also psychologically, as it takes a huge toll on them. Certain prevalent mental health conditions such as tress, anxiety, depression, and eating disorders are commonly found in women with PCOS. Moreover, many women engage into self-blame, or engage into a web of negative thoughts which in turn impacts their emotions, and their view about themselves. As there is increase of hair growth, and weight many girls and women indulge into body shaming and impact their interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships.
Effective coping mechanisms for balancing physical and psychological health:
· Engage into Self Care: Self care is an essential routine for all of us. If you are dealing with PCOS, it is essential for you to engage into self-care where you not only exercise regularly but also get in touch with your emotions at a regular level.
· Discounting the unnecessary Comments: Many a times, people will comment about your PCOS, which is impacting you and your thoughts. Hence it is essential for you to discount on the unnecessary comments which people give you amidst PCOS.
· Express yourself: It is essential that you express yourself freely to your friends and family members as this will help you to get a window to express your thoughts to your loved ones in a safe space.
· Self-Introspection: PCOS not only physically impacts you, but also affects you psychologically. It is indeed essential that you get in touch with your over whelming emotions. The same can be done by writing a dairy or spending some good time with yourself.
· Engage into mindfulness and meditation: PCOS can have a huge impact on one’s psyche. As stress can impact on the hormonal levels. It is essential that you are engaging in regular mindfulness and meditation.
· Diet and Nutrition: PCOS is a lifestyle disorder, which can be managed with the proper diet and nutrition. Hence, it is essential that you have a proper diet and nutrition throughout as it will not only keep you physiologically healthy, but also help you to manage your levels of psychological distress.
· Regular health check-ups: It is essential that you keep a regular check on your physical health, by going regularly to your doctor, as it will help you keep a check on various parameters of your body.
· Seek professional help: PCOS can have a huge impact on the emotional and psychological health of the women. As the mental health plays a huge role on the overall quality of life. It is important that you seek a professional help as it helps you to keep in touch with your emotions.
Both mind and body relate to each other, and the effect on one impacts the other parameter of the health too. PCOS is impacting many women across the globe. The choice is with you if you to want to instil helplessness in you or create a routine to change your lifestyle and your emotional and psychological state and fight PCOS. A little change in you, can make management easily.
About the author -
Komal Mishra, Counseling Psychologist at Kaleidoscope- A unit of Dr Bakshi's Healthcare. Kaleidoscope offers mental health support to individuals across age groups through a gifted team of clinical and counseling psychologists.
Around The World
Before we begin an assessment of this subject, it is important to understand what hemp-based products actually are. ...
Amongst one of the reasons why fake supplements are ruling the market is also the fact that bonafide health and nutrition supplement brands are enteri...
Instead of waiting for summer to feel energized to work upon healthy living, it’s better to winterize your diet. ...
Be mindful of what you’re doing – stay in the present....
Here are various reasons as to why the beauty and wellness industry is growing exponentially:...
The pandemic has proven that we are living in an unprecedented time and these still remain somewhat unchartered waters for the enterprises. ...