Eating right and following the recommended balance of nutrition at various stages of Coronavirus
Some patients may have aches, pains or diarrhea. Around 1 out of every 6 people who get Coronavirus become seriously ill and experience difficulty in breathing
As per a report by WHO, the most common signs & symptoms of Coronavirus are fever, dry cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose and tiredness. Some patients may have aches, pains or diarrhea. Around 1 out of every 6 people who get Coronavirus become seriously ill and experience difficulty in breathing. Elderly people, kids & those with underlying medical problems like hypertension, cardiac diseases or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness.
So far, there is no antidote for Coronavirus & even pathology is also unknown. Based on Ayurvedic perspectives of respiratory tract diseases, diet can be recommended to tackle the situation. Ayurveda medicines and diet that build and strengthen immunity can be used to prevent getting affected by the Coronavirus. The infection worsens if the immunity is poor.
According to Ayurveda, proper nutrition/diet is the basic need of good health and also acts as a causative factor for disease as well as preservation and promotion of health. In both the conditions, health and disease, diet is a prime factor to be thought about. As it is said, without a proper diet, the use of any drugs (medicines) is futile. Ayurveda recognizes the importance of a good diet for the prevention of any disease. A well-balanced diet plays a key role in defending our body from respiratory infections. Including various nutrients in our meals on a regular basis can help strengthen our respiratory system, and keep infections at inlet. Here are things which can be taken, according to symptoms of the disease, to improve health :-
1. Boil drinking water (1.5 litre) add 5gm water of Shadanga Paniya Kwatha Churna which is easily available at Ayurvedic medicine stores. Cool it down and use the decoction as normal drinking water. This decoction is known as Shadanga Paniyam, it can be used in the initial stage of fever and helps in balancing doshas.
2. If someone usually stays indoors in an air-conditioned room for full-days, sipping hot tea prepared out of lemon, honey, ginger and water is recommended. Lemon is a rich antioxidant that acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps respiratory organs to have high immunity. Lemon tea kills the sore throat by removing infection from the passage of the upper respiratory tract, it also smoothens the air passway.
3. Mint Tea can be consumed to stop the runny nose and aid easy breathing, as it contains menthol which may affect the mucus receptors in the nose, helping to open the airways and clear mucus.
4. Most colds cause an increase in mucus production, which is a manifestation of increased kapha. When suffering a cold, expedite the healing process by focusing on pacifying kapha—even just for a brief time. In general, keep the body warm and eat a kapha-pacifying diet, favouring easily digested foods that are well-spiced. In particular, be sure to avoid dairy and cold substances like iced drinks, frozen treats, and ice cream. Drinking hot water helps to clear the system of accumulated toxins, liquefies mucus, making it easier to clear and eliminate from the body.
5. Avoid Dairy - Dairy products like yogurt, cheese and ice cream tend to aggravate the underlying imbalance when there is a sore throat. Although some find that hot turmeric milk supports healing, this is an exception to the rule.
6. Gargle - Gargling with a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon Natural Mineral Salt in a cup of warm water soothes the tissues of the throat and encourages natural healing.
7. Adding fruits & vegetables to daily diet are advisable as they are rich in antioxidants.
8. Hot Soup and easily digestible meals are recommended according to hunger.
Around The World
Dr Annurag Batra, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of BW Businessworld and exchange4media, Kavi Bhandari and Resham Suhail in conversation with Poonacha M...
We all know that the risk is small when comparing the number of people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have recovered with the number who ha...
Crisis always throws us out of comfort and known coping mechanism. It churns new situations, new experiences and creates a need for more in-depth expl...
According to Quantum physics everything is energy! All of us vibrate at a certain frequency depending upon the person we are and the moods we are expe...
Staying at home in the lockdown raises grave concerns about the health wherein diet plays an important role...
At this time, we should cook something different yet healthy. We can always try different types of salads like Mexican salad, nutritional drinks, scr...