10 Important Ingredients for a Healthy 2021
Although the year brought the world closer as frontline health workers worked towards creating a safer tomorrow in the external world, it also taught us the importance of staying healthy, especially by strengthening our immunity.
The year 2020 has undoubtedly been a year that showed resilience, perseverance, and strength while the world ran an unpredictable ride with the pandemic. Although the year brought the world closer as frontline health workers worked towards creating a safer tomorrow in the external world, it also taught us the importance of staying healthy, especially by strengthening our immunity. Let’s resolve to take informed steps to keep ourselves and our loved ones healthy from the beginning of 2021. Let’s keep the negative energies away and embrace 2021 by knowing more about the food ingredients that are available in our kitchen and inculcate some healthy eating habits.
Recent research reports suggest that making healthy food choices activates our antibody and immunoglobulin synthesis, thereby promoting stronger immunity. Also, it has been suggested that dietary changes from current diets to healthy diets are likely to substantially benefit human health, saving about 11 million lives annually, which account for roughly 20% of death.1
Let’s prepare for a new year with a nutritious diet, a healthy body, and stronger immunity with these superfoods filled with immune-boosting bioactive components:
1. Turmeric- This superfood tops the list of healthy foods to be considered for the year 2021, as it is rich in curcumin with powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Be it fresh turmeric or the powdered form, turmeric milk, turmeric tea, turmeric latte, or turmeric chews, add this immune booster to improve your immune responses.
2. Ginger- This strong-flavored food has much more to it than just being a spice. Ginger contains polyphenols and offers all the health benefits one can aim for as it is an immune mediating food that relieves cardiac, respiratory, and digestive distress2. Just peel, grate or crush it and add small quantities to all your food while relishing the refreshing taste of ginger tea. Get the most out of ginger this 2021.
3. Garlic- Popular for its anti-diabetic, anti-cholesteremic, and anti-inflammatory properties, is packed with vitamins B and C, manganese, selenium, iron, copper and potassium. One can enjoy the goodness of garlic in any form. Boost your immunity and much more with garlic chutney, sauce, powder, or even fresh chopped garlic. Having said that, have you tried the trending garlic milk yet?
4. Chia seeds- Chia seeds rich in iron, calcium, magnesium and protein are one of the best seeds with a bland taste. Add them to your desserts, include them as a part of your major meals and snacks or just blend them in your fruit smoothies to get a higher protein and extra micronutrient punch.
5. Sweet Potato- Often sidelined and considered high glycemic index, this superfood is rich in magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium. It can be eaten and enjoyed by all age groups, including people with diabetes when consumed in moderation. The pinkish purple pigment of sweet potatoes has immense health benefits. Usher in the New Year with health and sweetness.
6. Red carrots- These beautiful red-colored carrots are a lycopene storehouse, an antioxidant and considered medicinal. Also, these are healthy for the heart (da Silva Dias, 2014) and have an abundance of pro-vitamin- A (carotenoids). Chop them as salad, blend them in your soups, whip healthy desserts, or curate tasty pickles.
7. Mustard greens- Apart from that pungent taste and aroma, mustard greens are packed with vitamin C, vitamin K and copper. Enjoy these juicy greens with makke/corn ki roti, rice, or even add them to your dals to give a tangy zing of an immunity boost.
8. Peanuts- This underrated lay man’s source of protein is the most affordable source of monounsaturated fatty acids, protein, and minerals that will elevate your health to the next level in 2021. Boiled, roasted, powdered, or buttered, there’s no food peanut cannot provide flavor too.
9. Guava- Wondering how this locally available Indian street fruit has just obtained its position in the top 10 foods. Well, apart from being the most easily available, locally grown, and most inexpensive fruit, guava is a storehouse of vitamin- C, potassium, and magnesium. Have you set a goal to achieve healthy and strong bones in 2021, then Guava is one of your go-to food.
10. Ragi or finger millet- This crunchy, nutty, cocoa-colored millet is gluten-free, calcium-rich, and fiber-packed as compared to regular grains that must definitely color your plate in 2021. Incorporate finger millet in your daily menu – rotis, porridges etc. to enhance your micronutrient levels and improve all metabolic parameters
A sound body and a sound mind are like a beautiful building that is built with bricks of healthy food, cemented with good physical activity, and constructed with essential amount of micronutrients. These are instrumental in improving people’s health by building a better immune system. Our indigenous diet is the storehouse of minerals and vitamins provided we consume the right foods that act as natural medicine, in the right amount. If we still can’t get enough nutrition from our daily diet, then supplements are advisable with prior consultation. An even better option is fortified food and fortified beverage mix, such as NuShakti’s MIXMETM which is a beverage powder mix fortified with 17 micronutrients. By fortifying our daily foods like flour, rice with NuShakti powermix, we can increase the nutrient content of the food.
These are some foods that will help kick start your 2021 in a very healthy and happy way. Include these superfoods in your diet and keep your body, mind, and soul fit. These varieties of superfoods have been recommended based on the current demand for enhancing one’s immunity and micronutrient levels to gear up for a better and brighter 2021.
Around The World
World over, health inequalities stand out stark and there is realization that, even today, the world is indeed unfair....
Consumption of tobacco, alcohol, a diet high in processed meat &low in fiber, obesity, and low physical activity are common causes of Colon Cancers....
ED is a medical disorder and can be managed, but, the first step is to come out in the open and talk about the condition with your doctor....
We can hold poor dietary habits, an unhealthy lifestyle, and harmful societal standards responsible for this intolerance and impatience that is so com...
The road to beating nicotine. When you smoke or chew tobacco, nicotine enters your bloodstream through the inner linings of your nose, mouth and lungs...
Here are the 5 tips for the women of today, that can help them cope better with stress and adversity, and gain control of their lives. ...